Saturday, November 9, 2013

Writing Ruts and the Conspiracy of Women's Clothing

Hi all,
Yesterday was my first day of NaNo that I really hit a writing rut. It took me several hours longer to reach my daily goal than usual. I think a big part of it was that I had to start writing later than I usually do, I hope that was why anyways. I am a little concerned that I won't have enough to say of this story for 80,000 total words! That doesn't mean I'm giving up, I'll find a way, probably. I've been doing the math lately to see how many words I have left and how many it would take to get to 80,000--I should stop doing that, at least for a while, it's depressing to see that I still have more than 50,000 words left to go. As of this moment I've written 26,125 words in nine days. Sad thing is I still have 53,875 words left. So. Many. Words.

I think the encouragement of family and friends helped me get those words out yesterday though, it's always useful to have someone cheering you on with any challenge you are facing, especially once that is important to you whether it's writing, or drawing, or something completely unrelated to art. They can really help motivate you. My friends and family certainly motivate me not to let them down, so I keep on trying and pushing myself to do the best that I can.

As you can see from the title, I'm also going to rant briefly about the conspiracy of women's clothing. The biggest conspiracy in my mind is how freaking small the pockets are on pants. Unless I were to start buying men's jeans for bigger pockets, I'm pretty much doomed to lugging around a purse. Thus this conspiracy points to jeans designers and purse manufacturers in cahoots! They've got to be working together and making some shared profit off of this somehow. Jerks.

A couple weeks ago I noticed an odd warning on one item of clothing I had. It said keep away from fire. This wasn't on the tag of a shirt or pants, you know the things that would catch fire first... It was on the tag of one of my bras. I don't know if this is some reverse psychology thing trying to stir the angry, bra-burning feminist in me, or if it's some aim to dissuade me from purposefully burning my bra. I still can't decide if it is something that offends me or not. It certainly leaves me wondering why and feeling a little vexed at it. Anyone have a good explanation for why this would be the only piece of clothing that has a keep away from fire warning?

Thanks for reading!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment