Monday, November 4, 2013

80,000 words and a 5k

Hi all!
So you know how I said it was mean of my husband and friend to suggest I do 80,000 words this year instead of 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo? Well apparently I decided it would be fun, it's only 1000 extra words a day after all... We'll see if I feel so motivated after I need to write a paper this week for class. I also don't know if my story will last that long, I do have that fear. But I have written 10,000 words in 3 days :D! Gotta keep things positive, right? I typically try to write for NaNo in the morning and try to do very little before writing for NaNo, if my coffee maker was a little newer I'd have to do even less, but it doesn't have a timer set in it to go off when I want it too. Ah well it's only a few added steps before I can start writing.

This past weekend I participated in the Hot Chocolate Run--I only did the 5k, no way in heck could I have done the 15k! It was my first run like this and it was one very interesting experience. We actually did more waiting in our corral to start the race than it took us to run the race (us being my brother-in-law, my brother's girl friend [though to me she's totally a sister-in-law :D], and me). There were at least 27,000 people doing this run in Chicago. Aside from having to dodge around the walkers with poor racing etiquette, i.e. walking in the middle of the road versus at the sides, it was a lot of fun. I really didn't think a few months ago when I signed up to do this run that I could actually do it. And then I did, yay! They set the pace to me which was probably best, I had a moment of slowy-Joeyness. I only needed to walk for a brief amount of time, but otherwise jogged the whole time. We averaged just over 11 minute miles which was faster than I'd done on my own before this and we finished the race in 36 minutes! I would totally recommend people to try and push themselves to do something like this, it's a fun experience and this race was pretty laid back and meant to just be fun so if you did need to walk it wasn't like you were in the minority. Plus it feels like quite an accomplishment to get something like this done.

I'll keep my NaNo journey up to date on here as best I can, wish me luck to actually get to 80,000 words and keep on keeping on if you're doing NaNo too!

Thanks for stopping in,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment