Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Adding in Another Point of View

Hi all,
As you may recall I am participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) this November and with the added challenge of doing 80,000 words instead of 50,000. It's been going well so far, I'm at 19,019 words on day 6! I decided to add in another character's perspective in my story as of late last night.

Adding in another point of view (POV) can be tricky, and you never really know until you've finished if it was a right choice or a fitting choice. It's also tricky because you need to make that POV stand out from the other character's POV. I'm hoping my choice to add this character's perspective in will be a good one. My story takes place in a different world from our own where the dark things that creep in the night live (my working title is Where Nightmares Reign, it will do for now), and I write from two character's POVs that are there so as to give the reader as much as I can about this world. But I realized there's so much more I could do if I also showed what was happening in the real world from the sister's POV and how she and the family are handling the main character's kidnapping.

I don't know how well I'm writing the dark and creepy of the story either, it's my first attempt at something a little more sinister. I suppose if nothing else, it is hopefully something that can be resolved in the editing stages of the process. I do find listening to creepy music like soundtracks from scary movies helps, so if you're stuck at all in your writing, try listening to music that is a similar mood/feel to what you are writing! A friend of mine suggested doing that and it really has helped.

I've also been writing right away in the morning so the day doesn't get away form me. Today I managed to write just under 3,000 words in under two hours! That was some crazy fast writing for me, I apparently was in the zone or something. Lately it's been taking me three to three and a half hours or so to get that many words. Maybe adding in another POV inspired my writing :)! Keep on keeping on with the writing, you can do it!

Thanks for stopping by,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment