Thursday, October 17, 2013

Good Morning

Hello again,
I try to build in a ritual of writing every other day in the morning. Supposedly writing shortly after waking up or when very tired (i.e. prior to going to bed) is the best time to write since you are closest to a dream state. I rarely actually start writing as soon as I wake up, but it's a goal.

My biggest barrier to writing is the fact that I get more ideas than I can deal with at a time. I've actually only finished (yet to be edited...) one of my novels of the many I've started. As soon as I get a new idea I at least start writing down the beginning or the tidbits that I know of, which then distracts me from my other works. This is something I need to reign in as a writer, my discipline to finish one story before starting the next. It sounds like it should be an easy thing to do, but I apparently lack that kind of discipline in many regards--expect (for some reason) when I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November. Maybe I need to trick myself into thinking I have a similar challenge going on for one of the stories I am working on currently!

I do try to have a mini-notebook set aside for ideas as they pop into my head, I usually carry it in my purse or have it on my bedside table. I get a lot of my ideas from dreams and I know better than to assume that I'll remember it in the morning! So if you're having difficulty coming up with ideas try having a special notebook for ideas or a dream notebook that you record your dreams in, if nothing else, it will get you writing! Writing even just a little bit a day--a few sentences, 500 words, etc.--can be how you get into your routine. Keep on writing.

Thanks for reading and visiting!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment