Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Burden of Convenience

Hi all,
Warning to the reader, this might get a little ranty, sorry! I noticed Sunday that my car was making an odd noise, it had just been in the shop on the 20th of November, so I was less than thrilled to hear that odd noise. Then yesterday my heat didn't work at all, which isn't good when you know, it's winter. My car also got awfully close to the "hot" temperature reading yesterday evening while I was driving to work, so that was concerning. Now I'm hanging out in the mall while my car is getting checked for a coolant leak--it's low on coolant which it shouldn't be because I just had the coolant exchanged. The noise apparently is coming from my muffler, that'll be dealt with a different day.

Cars can get so expensive, there are times when I want to just swear off driving and just bus and walk everywhere instead. But then I think about waiting in the cold for the bus, or remember the time I got on the wrong bus and ended up walking the two or so miles home from where the bus could drop me off that was closest to that point. I do generally try to walk where I can when I can (weather cooperating). I might even consider walking to one of the houses I work at once it's not winter and it stays light out past 4 pm. I'm not exactly keen about walking home alone in the dark for about a half hour's worth of time. The other house I work at would just be too far to reasonably walk to. If I were to get a bike that could solve some of the problems of travel time and distance, but I'd not ride a bike in winter, I am not that tough or daring.

So instead of getting a bus pass, which I can get one for free from campus since I am a student, I eat the cost of my car repairs. The convenience of cars certainly has it's associated cost. As for why I don't have the bus pass, well I'm kind of lazy, I'll admit it. In order to get the pass I need to go on campus during the week which means not only will I have to deal with the joys of throngs of students, I'll have to deal with finding parking that will most likely be a place I have to pay for. The office that gives the bus passes isn't open on Saturdays when I'm at campus for class. Maybe I think I'm being spiteful by not giving in...? I don't know, it's probably just laziness. Riding the bus, biking, and/or walking would be more environmentally friendly than my car too. Once winter is done I'm going to try to make a more earnest effort to not drive when possible. Cut down on my carbon foot print if only by a little!

Thanks for reading,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. When we're in Madison we don't have a car and, although our world has certainly gotten a little bit smaller as a result and it's inconvenient sometimes, we really enjoy not having to pay for insurance, gas or maintenance, even if it means walking to the store in the snow and freezing weather. Right now my car back home is being towed to a shop because it's making an awful noise and I want to be able to use it! The time and $$ spent renewing insurance and maintaining a car for the sake of convenience is definitely an inconvenience!

    ReplyDelete