Sunday, December 15, 2013

Apologies and Poetry

Hi all,
Sorry again it's been several days since I last posted. There's only one week of school left and I've got two assignments to finish up before then, so I guess my brain is a little frazzled :).

I don't often write poems, but a few months ago I was inspired to write two different poems, I don't know if they're really good, or even decent, but hey I figured it could be fun to share even if they aren't. The first poem is a little whinny, it was written during a time of serious frustration with work where a kiddo and I were just clearly not a good match, but I didn't want to give up on the team (the kid pretty much hated me for some unbeknownst reason), I ended up leaving the team so that he could thrive in therapy. The second poem is more of a criticism of the U.S. inspired by a mixture of what I've learned in my classes.

Caring
I find the caring inside of me
Is gone, it's not simply that I am unsympathetic,
It's that it has atrophied.
Thank society.
Or the media epidemic.
Thank the dwindling fervor that is humanity.
Maybe thank me.
The moving, aching muscles of compassion are gone.
So long.

What is the world coming to, you ask.
It's worst nightmare, I respond,
Humanity is gone.

False Dreams
The American Dream
Isn't as it seems,
Try as one may
No matter how hard they work each day,
Those bootstraps to pull upon
Are long gone,
If they ever existed
To start with, which is twisted.
This ideology,
This philosophy
We hold so dear
Is never near
Unless
You hold riches of boundlessness
And every opportunity is afforded
You. All of it is hoarded
For the rich, for the white.
It seems impossible to fight.
Change isn't easy or often fair,
Will it really get us anywhere?
Perhaps. Unknown futures
Could be the sutures
We need to save us
From our false dreams of greedy lust.

As always thanks for stopping in and visiting. If you've written any poems or flash fiction you'd like to share please do so in the comments! I forgot to say that with the last writing prompt I offered.

Thanks!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment